Transforming NAIA into a FIRST-WORLD gateway
Metro Manila, as the nation’s capital region, deserves a gateway befitting its status as the prime business and cultural hub in the country.
Drawing on our tried and tested expertise building and operating the Mactan-Cebu International Airport, Megawide submitted a Php109-billion proposal to modernize, redevelop, and expand Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
The delivery of the new MCIA led into the transformation of Cebu into an international destination, and spread economic growth beyond the confines of the airport. This has become a source of pride, not only to Cebu, but to the whole country and the Duterte administration.
Phase 1 (Year 1):
- Renovate existing airside and landside facilities
Phase 2 (Years 2 to 3):
- Relocate and replicate existing facilities, construct a new terminal, and enhance parking facilities
Phase 3 (Years 3 to 9):
- Enhancement of passenger terminals, and additional parking facilities
- Construction of a rail-based people mover system (PMS)
These will be done under the 25-year contractual arrangements of the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) Law.
Our strength and expertise
Through the years, Megawide has consistently showed and proved that it has the financial capacity, as well as technical and management capability, to undertake major national infrastructure projects.
We will use our experience building infrastructure projects like the passenger terminals in Mactan-Cebu and Clark, as well as operating MCIA, to deliver our promise of having a first class gateway that Manila deserves.
Megawide has both in-house and external financing plans, the expertise, and the integrity to deliver on all phases of the NAIA transformation project, just like we did for MCIA.
We partnered with GMR, a world leading airport developer, in developing and operating MCIA. We will do the same for NAIA.
By combining our strengths, we put our proven talents into good use: serving our people, serving our country.
What will happen to existing NAIA employees in the transformation project?
- We enthusiastically support President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s desire to deliver better infrastructure and we know in these days of economic uncertainty, infrastructure development is key towards economic recovery and providing jobs for our fellow Filipinos.
- Just like what we did in MCIA, all organic NAIA employees will be offered employment in the new NAIA because we see value in their knowledge of airport services.
- Those who accept the offers will enjoy benefits equal or possibly more than the benefits they were receiving from the MIAA. Any employees who transfer to Megawide will also be protected against retrenchments within a certain period.
- We will also invest in a state-of-the-art aviation and airport training facility for the NAIA and would prioritize regular and contractual employees. This is in line with our short term focus of training NAIA employees with the end goal of deliver first-world services and operations within the first phase of operations.